Monday, August 3, 2009

Huh...That Went Well.

I finally did it. I quit the soul-sucking sales job in order to take a soul-sucking corporate job. The uncertainty of payment, the knocking on doors and the mandatory sales calls finally got to me. As a wise woman said to me (last night, in fact): Do I really want my livelihood and success to be based upon those characteristics and personality traits that are my weakest? It seems so simple when put that way. I reckon most good advice is.

I've been hired back at my old company and so far, it's been pretty okay. I was offered a promotion and a raise, so I went back. It's comfortable, familiar, I'm good at it, I get my 4 weeks of vacation back, and if they lay me off again, I'll get another 15 weeks of severance!

I know, I'm so ambitious it kills me.

This weekend, our coven, N., held Lunasa with our sister coven, S.R. It's been lovely having both groups together, and I'm exceedingly glad that we have finally come to the point where we're comfortable doing Sabbats together. We had too much food (as usual), plenty to drink, and a really lovely, if not original, ritual by one of the S.R. members held at his house. My son came with us and had a blast because this covener was also a huge Star Wars fan and let my boy wear the Stormtrooper helmet (it made noise!) and play with all of his nerf guns. Did you know they make a Nerf machine gun? Me neither.

Today's Parenting Question brought to you by Raised by Jackals: disturbing, or normal? My son, for some reason, really loves the villains. I mean, he wanted to be Venom (the black, deranged Spiderman) for Halloween last year, he pretends to be the Sandman and the Green Goblin, and the only game he plays on his DS is the Transformers one where he plays a Decepticon. And now - Stormtroopers? Why the bad guys, shorty?


And finally: Happy Lammas to everyone. This is the first of three harvest festivals (the other two being Mabon in September and Samhain in October). Right on time, I saw the first wheat fields cut this week. Lammas is an interesting holiday in that it is a time of burgeoning plenty - corn is high, wheat is ripe, the summer fruits are succulent - but it's the beginning of the end of summer and the slow descent into the dark. We think of the archetypal sacrificial god who dies so that others may continue to live (Dumuzi, Osiris, Jesus, among others) and appreciate the great gift he offers us. May you never hunger!

1 comment:

BalancingGal said...

Ah, the soul-sucking; leaves ya vastly empty but pays the bills. (Bitter Irony). Ya do as ya must not as you would.